We are currently living in a world that is uncertain and, if I’m being honest, a bit scary. When the world seems out of sorts, I write. It’s what I have always done. Since I know schools will be closed for the foreseeable future, I wanted to do something for my students along with others stuck home. Whether you just need an outlet to be creative or are in need of something for academic purposes, I want to be a resource.
For the next few weeks, I will post writing prompts, exercises, and resources. Today, let’s start with some writing prompts. Pick one (or multiple) of the following. Free write for ten minutes on your chosen topic. Don’t stop. Keep writing for the full ten minutes. If your writing goes in a weird direction, let it. There are no rules and you don’t have to stick to your topic. Writing prompts are just to get the creative muscles working. Don’t spell check yourself or stop to rewrite. Just write.
So, let’s get started.
Here are today’s prompts:
- Tell a story from the point of view of your pet. What do they see? Hear? Taste? Smell? Who are their friends? What is their goal in life?
- What is your dream career and why?
- Describe, in detail, your school cafeteria at lunchtime. What are people doing? Is there a secret meeting taking place in the back corner? Is there a food fight brewing?
- Write about a person who inspires you and why.
- Write a thank you note to a friend who helped you in a time of need.
I’ll post something new everyday. Check back for more writing exercises, book recommendations, and writing prompts.
Stay well and happy writing!